Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Scars You Don't See

      In Rhetoric we learned how to persuade others through speech. By using the different devices (metaphor, anaphora, allusion, etc.) and appeals (ethos, pathos, logos) that was presented in class in an effective manner you are able to influence the way an audience thinks, feels, and views you. This brought us to our first action project, make a debate on a topic of our choice and defend it; then to make an appealing logo to go along with our debate. I decided on domestic violence because I have experienced it first hand and do not want to sit by watching someone else suffer alone the way I did. It was challenging to film the video since I do not do well in front of the camera - I was a nervous wreck. However I am proud of my speech and having the courage to post my video. This project taught me the ways of a strong compelling speech in order to have a good connection with my audience. Please enjoy my video below.
 



 



      Imagine having a friend or family member that's being abused, but you would never know about it. Most domestic violence incidents are never reported. Now imagine yourself in this situation, you don't want to speak out because you feel that your abuser is right. I would know I've been a victim - no a survivor. I was one of the lucky few to of gotten away from my abuser, to of gotten help, but I still have problems to this day.
      Domestic violence can have many negative long term effects on anyone who has had to deal with it in his or her life. Whether it was a woman, a man, or a child; whether you are Caucasian, Asian, or Black we are all at risk of developing mental disorders due to domestic violence. They might  suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), which can cause nightmares or high anxiety, depression, which causes unexplained feelings of sadness or helplessness; or dissociation, which often means they space out and aren’t very receptive.
      Furthermore, children who are exposed to domestic violence, whether it be by being abused themselves or by seeing one of their parents be abused, can often grow up to become the abusers themselves. Other times, these children might begin to believe they are to blame for what is happening, and they themselves can fall into depression.
      No one should be hurt by the hands of loved ones. No one should hide in fear of pain. No one should suffer the way I did. Notice the signs we share, the invisible scars we wear. For the chances of me coming out to you are about as likely as a cold day in hell. So be aware of those around you and as Dalai Lama said "If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them".

References:


"Effects of Domestic Violence." Joyful Heart Foundation. Web. 18 Sept. 2015.
"Effects of Domestic Violence on Children." Effects of Domestic Violence on Children. Web. 18 Sept. 2015.



No comments:

Post a Comment