Pages

Friday, October 16, 2015

Responsible or Not?

In Rhetoric, Unit 2, we learned how language changes everything. When the Europeans started to come to the Americas and colonize native land there was a huge divide between these two groups. The divide grew as Europeans started to enslave natives during this age of ‘discovery’. The Pope, at the time, wrote this document called the Doctrine of Discovery, basically claiming all native land and turning them into slaves. We also learned more rhetorical devices including antithesis, chiasmus, hypophora, and meiosis; some of which were used in the doctrine. This brought us to our second action project, analyzing a speech challenging an injustice in the world; we could decide whether we agreed with the person or not. I decided to disagree with Barbara Hewson on the topic of rape and the victim’s role in it. Even though her facts were great and I fully agree with them, the final conclusion of ‘rape victims are morally responsible’ I highly disagree with. It was challenging to find my preferred person and speech because I wanted to have points with which I both agreed and disagreed. However, I am proud of my prezi and the way it was formatted. This project taught me how to critically analyze a speech or text, but to also see from another person's perspective. Please enjoy my presentation in the link below.


No comments:

Post a Comment